Re: btrfs on an external HD?

Well, yes and no, Stan. As a professional sysadmin, I don't
particularly want to endanger data or make radical changes to
production (or in many cases, even development or test) systems. While
yes, it may sound like a "when all you have is a hammer" approach, it
is an opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the new filesystem is a
safe environment. From there, I will probably go with a VM that uses
it.

That is why I wanted to put on an external drive...

--b