Re: btrfs on an external HD?

Brad Alexander:

> I was thinking about setting up a btrfs filesystem on this drive since
> it will be mainly be data from my home workstation that I will be
> using on my work laptop, so the data will be safely elsewhere. Both
> the home workstation and the work laptop are running sid
> (2.6.32-5-amd64),

My advice is to upgrade the kernel. 2.6.32 is almost a year old. If you
want to try an experimental filesystem, use the most recent version.

> Is this a valid use case for btrfs?

It doesn't look like you have any special needs, so any "general
purpose" FS will do. The question is whether your data is valuable or
easily recoverable from a backup.

J.
--
People talking a foreign language are romantic and mysterious.
[Agree]   [Disagree]