Re: how to kill a process that is "defunct"?

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, François TOURDE wrote:

The zombie process don't use any resources in general. No need to reboot
at this point, because nothing is wrong.

Right. I can't see how the OP's process is a zombie as a zombie won't consume CPU (or any other resource). It exists solely to hand back the exit code to the parent when it can.

On some case, nevertheless, I remember that there can be a kernel
problem, or a device driver one. The process was killed during a
blocking IO, so it is marked as Z until IO finished. If the IO could not
stop, or is on a CPU consuming loop, there is no other way than reboot.

I think you'll find such a process would be in state 'D'. Sometimes processes in state D can get stuck and indeed be unkillable.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert@timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440