Re: how to kill a process that is "defunct"?

Le 14934ième jour après Epoch,
Dotan Cohen écrivait:

> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:58, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
>>  It's a zombie process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_process
>>

> Eduardo's right, it's a zombie. I didn't look at the output that was
> in the screenshot, but now that I did I see the Z in the stats column.
> Killall -9 or reboot at that point.

What??? Why killall or reboot?

The zombie process don't use any resources in general. No need to reboot
at this point, because nothing is wrong.

On some case, nevertheless, I remember that there can be a kernel
problem, or a device driver one. The process was killed during a
blocking IO, so it is marked as Z until IO finished. If the IO could not
stop, or is on a CPU consuming loop, there is no other way than reboot.

But it's in my old memories, maybe it's not so precise, or obsolete.