Re: rkhunter report

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
> >I have volatile commented out in my sources.list.. should I be using it?
>
> I recommend it, but there aren't that many packages in it anyway so you are
> likely not missing anything.

I also recommend using volatile.

> Volatile is meant for updates to packages whose usefulness naturally
> degrades as time passes, like virus scanners and spam filters.

Another example of a package in volatile is tzdata.  Time zones change
when Daylight Savings Time start and end by Act of Congress in the US
(and by other legislative bodies outside) beyond the control of a
stable release.  This needs to be updated when it changes.  So the
package is in volatile such that it can be updated as needed.  But the
behavior provided is not changed from release to release.

Bob