RE: Downgrading packages (with dependencies)

> Then I'm afraid you'll receive more advice in "debian-devel" :-)

Oh, I'll perhaps try. Thanks.

> I find the concept interesting.

> First, because I was not aware that a metapackage could be "itself" up/
> downgraded :-?

"metapackage"is usial package, not virtual package.

> Second, because if I understood your point correctly, you are looking for
> a chain-downgrade that force the user to auto-install an old version of
> single packages due to metapackage dependencies...

Yes.

> Are you suggesting that when the user downgrades to "my-
> meta-0.9" (is that even possible?) it automatically downgrades the other
> packages it depends on?

> Then, what happens if a user wants to keep (or even "upgrade") separately
> one of the "my-meta1-sub1"?

Than he has to uninstall metapackage, as he will not fullfill dependency requierments. Also, he will end up with unworky packages and he will have combination of apps that is not supported.

> AFAIK,
> a metapackage is just a heap of packages that are to be installed but
> each package has its own dependencies and requirements to be fulfilled,
> so I wonder if a metapackage has its own entity inside the packaging
> system...

Again, this is probably bad term, I'm not talking about virtual packages.

> Camaleón

Almad