Re: Downgrading packages (with dependencies)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:34:06 +0100, Lukas Linhart wrote:

> we're building packages with concept of "metapackage": package whose
> only purpose is to specify particular versions it depends on.

Then I'm afraid you'll receive more advice in "debian-devel" :-)

> Problem is, we'd like to be able to downgrade. However. I did not found
> the option to "force download in dependency chain"; when metapackage is
> being downgraded, all dependencies forced to download must be specified
> on command line (with version to download to).
>
> This is very annoying and yields whole downgrade concept unusable.
>
> Is there any way to force said behavior or work around it?

I find the concept interesting.

First, because I was not aware that a metapackage could be "itself" up/
downgraded :-?

Second, because if I understood your point correctly, you are looking for
a chain-downgrade that force the user to auto-install an old version of
single packages due to metapackage dependencies...

For example, let's imagine we have a metapackage called "my-meta-1" that
will depend on (install) "my-meta1-sub1", "my-meta1-sub2" and "my-meta1-
sub3". Are you suggesting that when the user downgrades to "my-
meta-0.9" (is that even possible?) it automatically downgrades the other
packages it depends on?

Then, what happens if a user wants to keep (or even "upgrade") separately
one of the "my-meta1-sub1"? Can a metapackage enforce that policy? AFAIK,
a metapackage is just a heap of packages that are to be installed but
each package has its own dependencies and requirements to be fulfilled,
so I wonder if a metapackage has its own entity inside the packaging
system...

What a mess! O:-)

Greetings,

--