Re: Downgrading packages (with dependencies)

In <[🔎] 201011151334.06503.lukas.linhart@centrumholdings.com>, Lukas Linhart
wrote:
>Problem is, we'd like to be able to downgrade. However. I did not found the
>option to "force download in dependency chain"; when metapackage is being
>downgraded, all dependencies forced to download must be specified on command
>line (with version to download to).

You could use a == instead of an >= version restriction.  This is used in a
few places in the Debian archive to keep two inter-related packages in lock-
step.  aptitude/apt/dpkg will still likely complain if any package needs to be
downgraded, though.

Using == for a metapackage is largely frowned upon though.  It gums up the
works when a single package needs a security update.

>This is very annoying and yields whole downgrade concept unusable.

Downgrades aren't supported and can't reasonably be supported in general.
Specifically, it is impossible to modify the lower-versioned package to
account for changes brought in by the higher-versioned package.