Re: How to check which package are from multimedia.org?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:15:37 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:23:44 +0000, Artur Frydel wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > I've found w32codecs also. Thery are needed by mplayer to work witch
> > some windows codecs? Am I right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Is any method to replace this packet - not using multimedia?
>
> IIRC, "w32codecs" is only needed for uncommon/rare codecs because main
> codecs are included within mplayer.

Yes.  I've gotten rid of w32codecs a while ago, and I don't recall ever
running into a video that was missing a codec.

> Anyway, if you don't want to use multimedia repo (why? :-?) you can

As to 'why', there are headaches.  For example, recently audacity
(which wasn't in dmo at the time) wouldn't work with the version of
ffmpeg from dmo:

The problem was fixed in a newer version of audacity, and Marillat, who
is *extremely* responsive, quickly put that version into his repo, but
the point is that you'll occasionally bump into things like that, and
the Debian maintainer response can be a bit offputting - from the
above report:

-----

Above package versions are not official Debian packages.

Debian unfortunately cannot guarantee compatibility with externally
built packages.

Please use Debian packages, or work with those unofficial package
providers to improve their compatibility with Debian.

Bug hereby closed.  Please do tell us if your experienced problem is
reproducible using only Debian packages, and we will investigate
further.

And please do continue to file bugreports - even if this one is judged
as "wrong": We really appreciate the feedback!

-----

Celejar