Re: linux-image for i586

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:26:22 -0500, Johan wrote in message
<[🔎] 87r5eoajq9.fsf@emmy.axel.nom>:

> Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> writes:
> >
> > ..it depends, 'top |head ' tells us another wee story: ;o)
>
> Correct me if I am mistaken.
>
> Looking at your numbers, it seems that most of the time is spent in
> userland and not the kernel.  I take it that the "us" field represents
> time spent in userland and "sy" is kernel, but you probably can also
> add in "wa" wait and "hi", "si" to handle interrupts.  "st" is,
> according to man top, stolen by other like hypervisor.
>
> In the first case, you are 96% in user and only 4% in the rest.  In
> the second, top reports 60.7% user and 38.6% idle, and the rest sums
> to under 1%.  So, making the kernel faster would really only help you
> by upto 4%.
>
> Ideally, the kernel should be zero (although that is clearly
> unrealistic).  Some tasks like running a serial port or a heavily used
> network filter can cause more kernel activity.  Usually, I find that
> the kernel is mostly out of the way.
>
> You could gain significantly by speeding up your useland process as
> that is where, quite rightly, most of you CPU is going.

..yup, my understanding is motion "more than prefers" mmx, the
k6-2 cpu offers mmx hardware and the i486 kernel does not offer
support for mmx hardware, so those mmx jobs are instead done
emulating mmx in ffmpeg userland or somesuch, googling "mmx
ffmpeg" shows a fair bit of disussions around these 2 around
A.D. 2005 thru A.D. 2008, so plan A is a k6-2 kernel. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: