Re: Nouveau and Nvidia backlight brightness

When using the nouveau driver, there is a folder in /sys/class/backlight/nv_backlight/ which contains the max_brightness (1025) and
brightness as expected. After digging around a bit, in the kernel source I found these lines of code:

/* We do not have any information about which values are allowed, thus we used safe values
 */
#define MIN_LEVEL 0x158 (344 decimal)
#define MAX_LEVEL 0x534 (1332 in decimal)

In the file linux/drivers/video/nvidia/nv_backlight.c (picked up from apt-get source linux-2.6)

Based on the filename and how close those numbers are to 1025, I would guess that this is the code determining my max brightness. More like hoping, than guessing really.

Can anyone provide any insight about this, perhaps? Might hacking this file with a kernel recompile change the max_brightness?

Thanks,
Matt

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:51:39 -0500, Matt Simmons wrote:

> I am running Squeeze on my laptop: a macbook pro 7,1.Most is going well,
> except the backlight screen brightness. Using the nouveau driver (this
> laptop has a 320M), it sets my max_brightness to 1025 according to
> /sys/. Unfortunately, a brightness of 1025 is extremely dim, and
> supposedly the brightness should be more like 40,000 on this guy.
> Anyway, installing the NVidia proprietary driver yields strange results
> (download from NVidia, not debian repos), there is nothing in the folder
> /sys/class/backlight at all! Kernel 2.6.32-5 amd64.

Maybe related to this (message #25)?

pommed: brightness control no longer working on macbook pro

Greetings,

--
Camaleón