Nouveau and Nvidia backlight brightness

Hello,
I am running Squeeze on my laptop: a macbook pro 7,1.Most is going well, except the backlight screen brightness. Using the nouveau driver (this laptop has a 320M), it sets my max_brightness to 1025 according to /sys/.  Unfortunately, a brightness of 1025 is extremely dim, and supposedly the brightness should be more like 40,000 on this guy. Anyway, installing the NVidia proprietary driver yields strange results (download from NVidia, not debian repos), there is nothing in the folder /sys/class/backlight at all!
Kernel 2.6.32-5 amd64.

Thanks,
Matt