Re: how to start gnome from the command line

Camaleón wrote:
> Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> >> "dpkg -l | grep "gnome-"
> > Here is the output:
>
> Uh? Only that? :-?
> IIRC, "gnome-desktop-environment" and "gnome-core" should be also installed.
> If the above both packages are not installed, get them by now :-)

I am thinking that perhaps running 'tasksel' and letting it install a
base installation might be a good idea.

  $ sudo tasksel

Then select 'desktop' and let it install the base packages.  That is
probably equivalent to doing:

  $ sudo aptitude --without-recommends -o APT::Install-Recommends=no install '~t^desktop$' '~t^gnome-desktop$'

Bob