Re: how to start gnome from the command line

see  below.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:20, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:39:56 -0300, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>
>> I have just installed debian squeeze from CD-rom 1 (amd64), and from the
>> command line run sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment.
>>
>> But on booting the computer I am still dropped to a shell, and the
>> command startx
>> do not work.
>
> "startx" should be fine.
>
> What error did you get? Maybe a problem with your VGA card?

I had done
apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment

then
startx
gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."

Now I have also done
apt-get install gdm
apt-get install gnome
<wait a long time>

then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in,
but am only given a blue screen without anything!!!

What to do?

Kjetil