Re: how to start gnome from the command line

below ...

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:49, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
<kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:14, Florian Kulzer
> <debian-lists@florian-kulzer.eu> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 16:03:28 +0000, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I had done
>>> apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>>>
>>> then
>>> startx
>>> gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."
>>>
>>> Now I have also done
>>> apt-get install gdm
>>> apt-get install gnome
>>> <wait a long time>
>>>
>>> then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in,
>>> but am only given a blue screen without anything!!!
>>>
>>> What to do?
>>
>> Did you install xorg or at least xinit? This is not necessarily done
>
> did not do that!
> next ...
> kjetil

Did so. The situation now is: Finally, I am using gmail from Iceweasel
started from debian gnome. But my gnome setup is still very basic:
After login, there is basically only a blue screen. By leftclicking
the mouse, it opens a popup menu, and I could start this browser from
there. But the window do nao have any re-size icons , as usual.
There must still be something missing?

Kjetil