Re: how to start gnome from the command line

On 11/12/2010 11:26 AM, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
below ...

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:49, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
<kjetil1001@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:14, Florian Kulzer
<debian-lists@florian-kulzer.eu>  wrote:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 16:03:28 +0000, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

[...]

I had done
apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment

then
startx
gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."

Now I have also done
apt-get install gdm
apt-get install gnome
<wait a long time>

then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in,
but am only given a blue screen without anything!!!

What to do?
Did you install xorg or at least xinit? This is not necessarily done
did not do that!
next ...
kjetil
Did so. The situation now is: Finally, I am using gmail from Iceweasel
started from debian gnome. But my gnome setup is still very basic:
After login, there is basically only a blue screen. By leftclicking
the mouse, it opens a popup menu, and I could start this browser from
there. But the window do nao have any re-size icons , as usual.
There must still be something missing?

Kjetil

The gnome environment is launched by running gnome-session. This is done for you automatically if you're using GDM. If you're using startx, then you need to add "gnome-session" to your .xinitrc file (or is it .xsession? I can't remember, it's been forever since I've used startx).