Re: Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

>>> [...] First, eliminate the "include" record that you added to
>>> /etc/modprobe.conf.  Then issue the following commands:
>>>
>>> # mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf
>>> # update-initramfs -uk `uname -r`
>>> # shutdown -r now

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

> Now look for evidence that the parport_pc module is getting the options
> passed to it in the options statement in /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.  For
> example:
>
>    dmesg|grep parport
>
> You should see a message that identifies the I/O port address, the interrupt
> level (IRQ) and the DMA channel that was specified in
> /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.
>
> If you do, then it is safe to assume that the correct options are being
> passed to the kernel module.  And that, after all, is the intended purpose
> of /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.  If the correct options are being passed
> to kernel module parport_pc, then the problem must be that something in the
> printer driver, perhaps a boot-up script, perhaps not, is explicitly looking
> for /etc/modprobe.conf and trying to parse its data.  If that is the case,
> you may be able to find the script and edit it to look in
> /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf instead.  If the logic is in a compiled program,
> and the manufacturer does not provide source code for their driver, then
> you are pretty much out of luck.

# dmesg|grep parport
[   11.593036] parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
[   71.028713] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

Then I edited the `install.sh' script as you suggested.  I'm pretty sure to
have replaced all the possible occurrences of any expression resulting in
/etc/modprobe.conf with the corrispondent instance that gives
/etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf in a clever manner.  Then I reinstalled and
rebooted, but the printer is dead.  It lives up again if I restore things as
the manufacturer wants: /etc/modprobe.conf.  Editing that script is just the
same as merely replacing by hand /etc/modprobe.conf with
/etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.

Now I wish to uninstall all and use the debianized packages at:

  http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/

Are they the same that you use?  Can you check the toner level with them?
That's the only reason Samsung software is useful.  If there's another way, I'm
going to uninstall it.

Thanks
Rodolfo