Re: Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:55:47 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the
> following stuff:
>
>  options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
>
> Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:
>
>  /etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!
>
> Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
> more strange things happen.  So I want to get rid of that file.  But if I
> remove it, or even only append to it the line:
>
>  include /etc/modprobe.d/
>
> , the error message disappear but the printer does not work.  It may have
> something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.

This is one reason why I do my best to only install Debianized packages
(i.e. packages that have been customized specifically for the Debian
environment, even if they are not official, as opposed to generic
install scripts from vendors that supposedly work with all distributions).

module-init-tools can be configured in one of two ways: you can put everything
in a single file called /etc/modprobe.conf or you can create one or more
files in directory /etc/modprobe.d, such as /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf,
/etc/modprobe.d/comport.conf, etc.  (For compatibility with recent versions
of initramfs-tools, the files in directory /etc/modprobe.d should have an
extension of ".conf".)

If the file /etc/modprobe.conf exists, then all the files in /etc/modprobe.d
are ignored.  The Debian distribution prefers the second method, multiple
files in /etc/modprobe.d, and all the official Debian packages are designed
to use that method.

What I would do is something like this.  First, eliminate the "include"
record that you added to /etc/modprobe.conf.  Then issue the following
commands:

# mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf
# update-initramfs -uk `uname -r`
# shutdown -r now

That should do it.

--