Re: Recovery from hard drive failure

Dne, 11. 11. 2010 17:16:17 je Peter Tenenbaum napisal(a):

I have a recent backup of the hard drive which I made using dump, and I have
a new hard drive on order.  My recovery plan is as follows:

1. Burn a new netinst CD from a recent build (I am running Squeeze, btw)
2.  Replace the hard drive
3.  Use the netinst CD to set up the filesystem on the new hard drive
4.  Recover the backup using restore.

Wouldn't it be simpler and much faster if you just booted from a live CD or DVD that supports "dump" and did everything from the live environment (assuming that is viable)?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.