Re: To KVM or not to KVM

Dave is correct. I have researched this long and hard, since I don't
particularly like vmware because they only seem to pay lip-service to
Linux. So I have researched a lot of the virtualization platforms for
Linux.

KVM needs a 64-bit cpu, but it also, as Dave said, needs the VTX
instruction set (for intel) or the SMX instructions for AMD.
Unfortunately, I have neither.

If you are running Linux-on-Linux, you might consider either vserver
or openvz. It does virtual containers similar to Sunacle Solaris'
containers. You can run many more virtual machines using containers
than you could with full virtualization because each container uses
less resources (and shares them better) than full virtualization.
http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org
http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page

You could run vmware esxi, but as I said, I'm not fond of it. I don't
think having to have a windows box to control it fits my workflow.
That said, esxi is free, though when you put in the free license, it
changes the filesystem to read-only.

Virtualbox is another option, however it is not intended for server
virtualization. It is more akin to vmware workstation or vmware
player.

HTH,
--b