Running kde and Gnome apps take over

Hi,

I'm running kde 4.4.5 on my desktop and for the past few weeks, I have
seen something odd. It seems that when I, for instance, insert a CD,
instead of the native KDE app dialog popping up in the device
notifier, I get the Nautilus file browser. When I connect my N900, an
external hard drive or a thumb drive, it is the Gnome app that pops up
before the kde notifier. So when I try to umount from the device
notifier, I can't, presumably because the file gvfs apps have a lock
on it.

So how do I get rid of the gvfs stuff? I have killed gvfsd, only to
have it respawn. I checked the usual suspects, e.g. /etc/init.d,
/etc/inittab, /etc/inetd.conf, but found nothing about gvfs. So where
can I get rid of this behavior? How does gvfs actually get
started/spawned?

I realize I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago, but
searching my system and looking on google have not resulted in a
solution.

Thanks,
--b