Re: Wayland & Unity -- any repercussions on Debian?

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 11:54:17PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Sven Hoexter:

Hi,

> > There've been times in the past when Debian was the playground to
> > introduce new cool technology.
>
> When was that the case? I use Debian since potato and I never had this
> impression. But I might have missed that particular image in the first
> one or two years.

I think there are areas where Debian still is a playground for new
or at least non mainstream technology.
See e.g. the kfreebsd, Hurd or even Minix 3 porting efforts. There is
also ongoing support for new hardware architectures and improvement for
existing once like armhf.

There are other things like the mime-support integration which as far
as I remember started around Debian. Or other helpful efforts like debconf.
I guess there's a lot more I just missed.

> > It's strange that nowdays people expect Debian to stay away from it.
> > It even reverts the upstream/downstream relationship with Ubuntu.
>
> That's not true anymore for many packages. Ubuntu tried to make
> cutting-edge solutions usable by everyone almost from the start.

Well yes while Ubuntu and Fedora provides more recent software I don't
see why Debian should avoid to experiment with it?
Nobody claimed that wayland should be the default display server for the next
stable release. Even for Ubuntu I think Mark suggested to try it and see if
it works.

> I am unsure whether this is about manpower only. Debian's answer usually
> is "we just need someone to package it", but there's more to it.
>
> People will probably name a lot of counterexamples, but my impression is
> that Debian is currently unable to push any big changes forward. Even
> "internals" like multiarch don't happen. Maybe package maintainers have
> too much power over their packages, maybe it's just too much
> bikeshedding or personal attacks. And one could probably argue that the
> decision making process isn't designed for big changes in the first
> place. I don't know.

Get involved and help.

[Maybe I should just have spent the time to participate in this thread
with packaging LyX 2. *sigh*]

Sven
--
And I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.