Re: New DNS serwer - hardware

pch0317 put forth on 11/5/2010 4:29 PM:
> Hi
>
> I must buy new DNS servers (hardware) to our company.
> Now DNS (bind on debian) works on PC machine (3 identical NS servers).
>
> How to check number of DNS request to current DNS machines (how to check
> current DNS load).
> How to match new server components like processor, memory and other to
> this load.
> Is there any graph (pattern) wich show relation between number of DNS
> request and hardware power.

http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.2/Bv9ARM.ch02.html#id2547108

How many domains (zones) do you currently serve?  Do you want live zone
changes without having to restart your DNS daemon?  Are you and ISP or
other (smaller) org?  Do host only static zones or do you also host
dynamic updates (like dyndns.org)?  Do you host DNSSEC signed zones?

If you're simply hosting static zones, even 250,000+ zones, a single
dual core 2GHz machine with 4GB ram and a single 10k RPM SAS disk would
be overkill.  Serving DNS doesn't require a very powerful machine unless
you're hosting millions of domains or doing DNSSEC.

If you use something like PowerDNS instead of Bind, you can get by with
even lower end hardware (memory) as it uses a database backend instead
of static text files.  This is great as you can do live changes via a
web interface if you wish (this is something you have to build from FOSS
components--it's not part of PowerDNS).

This thread, while very old, is educational.  Note the age of the
hardware and software involved, circa 2002-2003:

http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2003-December/000931.html

--
Stan