Re: Trying to use a Nokia N95 as a modem over USB

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 16:35:55 -0400, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
> I'm trying to use the GSM data connection of my Nokia N95-3 as a modem
> for my Squeeze laptop over USB.
>
> The Ubuntu wiki indicates that my Nokia is compatible with USB
> tethering but a patch to hal rules is required (As per a bug report
> filed in 2008 but still open.):
>
> The wiki page:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G#Mobile%20Phones
>
> The bug report:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/262566
>
> The patch file:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/262566/+attachment/338284/+files/10e_modem_fdi_nokia_N95.patch
>
> I'm trying to understand how to apply the patch.  I downloaded the
> patch file to /etc/udev/rules.d and run 'sudo patch -p0
> <filename.patch>' but patch hangs.  I'm not familiar with applying
> patches.  Is my command wrong is this something to do with a patch
> created in 2008 for Ubuntu will not work on a 2010 Debian?

It is supposed to work like this:

$ sudo patch -d /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/ < 10e_modem_fdi_nokia_N95.patch
patching file 10-modem.fdi
Hunk #1 succeeded at 519 with fuzz 2 (offset 218 lines).

This means that 10-modem.fdi on Sid/Squeeze is different from how it was
when the patch was created, but patch seems to think that it
nevertheless found the right place to insert the modification. The
patched 10-modem.fdi looks reasonable to me, but I do not have a Nokia
N95-3 and therefore I cannot be sure if it works. You can revert the
patch if necessary:

sudo patch -Rd /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/ < 10e_modem_fdi_nokia_N95.patch

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu