Re: change in behavior of iptables with respect to firestarter

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 02:02:04PM -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> On 10/23/2010 12:15 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
>
>> If your firewall script references an IP address (which you don't have
>> when the network is down), I think it needs the network to be up in
>> order to run.
>>
>> If the script only references the interface (eth0, for
>> example) it might run even if the network is down, as long as the kernel
>> is aware of eth0's existence.  But I'm not sure how wicd affects this.
>> I think your /etc/network/interfaces file will not have anything besides
>> the loopback device listed.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> Hi,
>
> I hope you'll pardon my resurrection of this thread.
>
> Your comments got me to thinking about this. Why would systems running
> wicd as the network manager fail to start the firewall when configured
> to switch between multiple fixed IP addresses, while other machines
> configured for only a single fixed IP address start the firewall without
> any trouble?
>
> I looked at /etc/network/interfaces on the systems with a single fixed
> IP address. They contained (of course) the specifications for that
> network location. The systems switching among multiple fixed IP
> addresses had to have /etc/network/interfaces configured like this:
>
> -----------------------------------8<--------------------------------
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> -----------------------------------8<--------------------------------
>
> For grins, I reconfigured /etc/network/interfaces on one of the single
> network profile systems and, sure enough, firestarter fails to launch
> the firewall. If I switch back to a normal interfaces file, the firewall
> starts.
>
> So, I guess the problem isn't with wicd, per se, but with the way I'm
> having to configure /etc/network interfaces in order to use wicd to
> switch among multiple network profiles with fixed IP addresses.
>
> I'm not sure whether I'd call this a bug with firestarter or a bug with
> wicd or an unfortunate interaction or (more likely) a bug with the end
> user (PEBKAC).
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get wicd to work with multiple fixed IP
> addresses without setting up /etc/network/interfaces in this manner. I
> really like both wicd and firestarter. Would anyone see a chance for me
> to get them to work together in my particular circumstances?

I'm inclined to call it a bug in firestarter, but to be sure, test it
out with Network Manager instead of wicd.  See if you have the same
problem.  I think you will, which will indicate the problem is with
firestarter (or possibly with the way you configured firestarter).

-Rob