Re: change in behavior of iptables with respect to firestarter

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:03:59PM -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> As root I ran
>
> /etc/init.d/firestarter start
>
> and I got
>
> Starting the Firestarter firewall....
>
> I ran
>
> iptables -L
>
> and I could see that iptables is properly doing "its thing". The rules
> are in place!
>
> So, for some reason, firestarter isn't being started during the boot
> process.
>
> So, I guess I have to find out whether the fact that firestarter isn't
> being started is because a) it hasn't been asked to start, or b) it has
> been asked to start, but with insufficient credentials (or, in some
> other manor, improperly). Have I got that right?

What if the network isn't up when firestarter is asked to start?  Would
it start anyway?  Would it fail to start and log an error?  Or would it
fail silently?

I'm not sure of the answers to the above.  Maybe you could try shutting
down your network manually, then start firestarter manually, and see
what happens.

Another idea:  You could edit /etc/init.d/firestarter to make it pause
long enough that you can read any errors on the boot screen.  Just enter
a "read" statement where you want it to pause.  On second thought, it
might be easier to put the "read" statement at the beginning of the
script that comes *after* firestarter in the boot process.  That'll be
the file in /etc/rc2.d that comes after the firestarter script (in
alphanumeric order).

Note, you have to hit <enter> to get past the "read" statement.

-Rob