cure for error meaages: call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). check your installation.

I did a new installation on a friend's computer.  All went well until I tried
to copy over his old data and config files from the old hard drive.  Since
then I cannot log in as I end up getting the message:
<quote>
call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). check your
installation.
</quote>

I can login at the command line as root, and can login in as a second user I
created.  For now he is running as the second user without access to his old
files.

I have thought about this and googled a lot.  I have tried/shall try all the
reasonably likely applicable suggestions I found.  I have checked the /tmp
directories and they are certainly not full.  I have not yet, but shall as
soon as I get access again to his computer, check that there is a /root
directory.

But the permissions may be wrong in that his ID may have changed.  It ought
not to have done so, since the old installation was an updated Lenny, as is
the present one, and he was in both  cases the first user.  Therefore the ID
in both cases ought to be 1000.

I am intending to delete his user, then create his user again.

I could then do

# chown -R user2 /old-HDD/home/user1

Then copy the data and configuration files into place.

I should be grateful for suggestions and comments - preferably constructive
ones. ;-)

Lisi