Re (4): routing

From:	lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.d.>
Date:	Sat, 30 Oct 2010 17:09:36 +0200
> Shorewall usually doesn't start when you refer to zones that aren't
> defined.

The real configuration of Shorewall didn't have the error.
The error was in NetworksPage.  Months ago when I changed
the name of the zone I failed to revise NetworksPage properly.

> According to [[http://carnot.yi.org/NetworksPage.html]], eth0 is
> the net zone, and there are four
> interfaces for the loc zone. You're masquerading eth0, which is the
> net zone, and none of the of local zones: ...

I've revised the /etc/shorewall/masq section of NetworksPage
according to the real life.

Reference manual page shorewall-masq(5)
       INTERFACE -
       {[+]interfacelist[:[digit]][:[address[,address]...[exclusion]]|COMMENT}
           Outgoing interfacelist. ...
       SOURCE (Formerly called SUBNET) -
       {interface[:exclusion]|address[,address][exclusion]}
           Set of hosts that you wish to masquerade.

/etc/shorewall/masq, "eth0  172.24.0.0/16" means that subnets
172.24.0.0/16 are hidden behind eth0; not that eth0 is behind 172.24.0.0.

> ... not gona work.

Masquerading has worked for years.  Cantor & Heaviside are my
workstations.  If either loses connectivity I notice!

NetworksPage also has a new section for
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
Interfaces are named according to the adapter serial number
which is easily read by a human.  Also, all interfaces LocN
are covered by one line in /etc/shorewall/interfaces.

> Keep things simple.

Absolutely.  Preceeding paragraph is an example.  I'll tackle
remaining errors as time is available.

Thanks for the commentary,         ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  7785886232 is gone.
Shop pages http://carnot.yi.org/ accessible as long as the old