Setting "viewer" application in GNOME (Squeeze)

I can't get Gnome in Squeeze to play mp3s (when clicking on the icon, or by default) using VLC:

o 'System | Preferences | File Management | Preview Tab' does nothing.

o 'System | Preferences | Preferred Applications' does nothing.

o '[Right Click] | Open With | Other Application | VLC Media Player' works one time only.

o '[Right Click] | Open With | Other Application | VLC Media Player | Remember This Application for "MP3 audio" files box---checked' works one time only.

o '[Right Click] | Open With | Other Application | VLC Media Player | Use a custom command' works one time only.

o '[Right Click] | Open With | Other Application | VLC Media Player | Use a custom command | Remember This Application for "MP3 audio" files box---checked' works one time only.

o 'Applications | System Tools | Configuration Editor :: / : desktop : gnome : applications : media :: name = exec : value = vlc' is useless---does nothing.

Nothing I can think of will induce GNOME to use VLC as the default media player. It defaults to Totem/Mplayer (and Totem is buggy).

What am I missing?