Re: Captured Video Not Producing Sound on Some Systems

On 10/23/10, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> As a proof of concept, I made a short clip from the youtube video.  See
> if this plays ok.  It's xvid and mp3 formats.  VLC should handle it.
>
> -Rob
>
> I downloaded the file, and ffmpeg tells me it's h264 video and libfaad
> audio.  Perhaps youtube converted it when you uploaded?

Your test clip worked fine on the system that was having problems
before.  I noticed the video quality was extremely low though.  But I
am guessing that you did it that way just for expediency.

As for YouTube converting the video after uploading, I am sure that
does happen.  However, I have this problem with my original captures
before they get sent to the Tube as well.  Here are a three sample
non-YouTubeized files:

Raw, freshly captured unprocessed in any way shape or form mpeg...
This was saved instantly after capturing.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/Animations/?action=view&current=Just-Ducky-Sample-Clip-02.mp4

A short sample that was made with Kino after being captured with WinDVR

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/Animations/?action=view&current=Just-Ducky-Detroit-Rock-City-Sample-1.mp4

A full length piece that was also put together via Kino

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/Animations/?action=view&current=DDR-DG-Davy-Crockett.mp4

And lastly, running mediainfo on a couple of the files gave this:

For the Small World clip:

Format                           : MPEG-PS
File size                        : 41.1 MiB
Duration                         : 45s 0ms
Overall bit rate                 : 7 658 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 2
Format profile                   : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
Format settings, Matrix          : Default
Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=15
Duration                         : 44s 845ms
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 7 281 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 11.1 Mbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Standard                         : NTSC
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.703
Stream size                      : 38.9 MiB (95%)

Audio
ID                               : 192 (0xC0)
Format                           : MPEG Audio
Format version                   : Version 1
Format profile                   : Layer 2
Duration                         : 45s 0ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 224 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Video delay                      : -9ms
Stream size                      : 1.20 MiB (3%)

For the Detroit Rock City clip:

Format                           : MPEG-PS
File size                        : 16.4 MiB
Duration                         : 35s 880ms
Overall bit rate                 : 3 827 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 2
Format profile                   : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP            : No
Format settings, Matrix          : Default
Duration                         : 35s 836ms
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 3 687 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 4 000 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Standard                         : NTSC
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan order                       : Bottom Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.356
Stream size                      : 15.8 MiB (96%)

Audio
ID                               : 192 (0xC0)
Format                           : MPEG Audio
Format version                   : Version 1
Format profile                   : Layer 2
Duration                         : 35s 880ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 64.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Stream size                      : 280 KiB (2%)