Re: problems with USB disk

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:07:09 +0200, lee wrote:

> I´m having trouble copying files for backup purposes to an USB disk with
> rsync. Copying the files sometimes fails with "Input/output error (5)",
> and I´m getting messages in the syslog like these:

(...)

> [128627.397894] EXT4-fs error (device sdf3):> __ext4_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=52298807, block=209191011

That looks like a filesystem error/corruption. Did you fsck-it?

(remember to make a full backup before performing any action)

> If this wasn´t an USB disk, I would assume that the disk has failed. But
> with USB, I´m not so sure: can this be some sort of problem with USB,
> like a connection problem?

You are also getting timeouts and I/O error. USB host controller/
enclosure or cable can be also the cause. Can you test the drive in
another USB enclosure or attach it directly to the motherboard port?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón