Re: KMail - forwarding issues

On 10/21/2010 07:01 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Wed October 20 2010, Ron Johnson wrote:
If you can get LDAP fully functional (no mean feat for a hobbyist)
on your desktop then *maybe* KMail and Kontact on your laptop can
see the data on your main machine.

I don't use kmail on my laptop, I use thunderbird. I get to my desktop from my
laptop via nomachine ( a remote desktop app), so I see my full desktop
screen, including the ability to use kmail.. I've only done this from my
lazyboy, via wireless router, not from outside the house, but it DOES work!
I never saw a need for LDAP, not sure how I would use it.. If I fired up
fedora on my laptop, used kmail, setup with IMAP for my accounts, where would
LDAP be used? Or am I thinking about it the wrong way..

Just as an IMAP server centralizes email for network access, an LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) database on your desktop machine would store all your contacts.

--
Seek truth from facts.