Re: Partitioning a drive with Windows 7 already installed

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 8:45 PM, consul tores wrote:
>
>> And, yes, it is possible to create windows 7 recovery DVDs, many times
>> as you wanted.
>
> This isn't universally true. Maybe some manufacturers enforce it and some
> don't. HP does, or has, restricted it to one copy. I never understood why
> making multiple recovery discs was not allowed, it seemed like a waste of
> time. Most people can find a way to copy them, if they want to. I just
> warned about the restriction for people to take note of. It might be an
> inconvenience to look out for, is all.

I've made more than one copy on an HP (the first attempt failed 3/4 of
the way through). There was one registry change to make in order to be
allowed to make a second copy. If I still had an HP, I'd track the key
down for you. It's probably googlable.