Re: Nouveau

On 2010-10-13 19:12 +0200, David Baron wrote:

>> > As Sven points out, there is no current support for 3D in Nuvó driver
>> > (there is, but is very experimental and probably highly unstable¹).
>> >
>> > Should you want to play with 3D programs/applications, just install
>> > nvidia driver.
>> >
>> > ¹ http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumHowto
>>
>> Nouveau/Gallium is worth a try at least. A lot of work is being done on
>> these drivers and depending on the chip in his card, they could turn out
>> to be a pleasant surprise. I am currently running them on an old FX5200
>> card and I can play bzflag at 1680x1050 with no problem, but e.g. Torcs
>> is a little too much. However, more work is being done on the drivers for
>> the newer cards than the driver for my old card, so you if you have one
>> of those, you could be in luck even with more demanding games.
>
> Thanks. Not opposed to giving this a try. However, the git does not work.

You have to use libdrm, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and a kernel from
experimental for that.  Mesa versions >= 7.8 don't compile or work with
the libdrm from squeeze/sid.

If you're using the Mesa master branch, you have to revert commit
c25fcf5aa5beccd7731706b8f85682170a2eca56 or use the latest libdrm from
git, because that is part of Yet Another ABI+API break in Nouveau. :-/

Sven