Re: Installing avahi-daemon crashes kernel, corrupts filesystem

On 12 October 2010 19:49, Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors@iki.fi> wrote:
> Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> writes:
>> Yay. I'll build one on my PC.
>
> Ah.

To save me more trouble, can anyone tell me what the key is to
building a kernel exactly the same as what's in
linux-image-2.6.32-5-486? I'm on a PC with amd64 arch, so I created a
i386 chroot:

    sudo debootstrap --arch i386 squeeze ia32-chroot
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian

I installed linux-source-2.6.32 (actually from sid, since the one in
squeeze FTBs). Unpack the source, and:

    linux32 make menuconfig

...selecting 486 processor family. Then:

    linux32 make-kpkg clean
    CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 linux32 make-kpkg --initrd
--append-to-version=-custom1 kernel_image kernel_debug

The resulting kernel does not find the root fs, so clearly it is
somehow different to what's in the archive. Where can I get the exact
config for the official 486 kernel?

Cheers,
Jason