Re: Installing avahi-daemon crashes kernel, corrupts filesystem

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Jason Heeris wrote:
> My system is a Helios single-board computer, with specs:
>
> CPU: Vortex86 SoC (800MHz) - I *think* this is pretty much a 486, I
> could be wrong

Yikes.  You really need to track this one down, and find out whether it is
any different from a regular 486.  The devil IS in the details, and these
older boxes are NOT regularly tested anymore.

In fact, we can't really attest that Debian does work perfectly even on
straight Intel i486 anymore, let alone on 486-alike chips:  We depend on
sheer dumb luck that the kernel and gcc have not regressed (very little/no
testing is done on 486s anymore), and some packages might not be
486-compatible at all.

But your issue is NOT an avahi bug (package, compiler or otherwise).  It is
either a kernel bug *or* the kernel is simply incompatible with your
vortex86 processor in a way that went undetected by the sanity checks at
kernel startup.

> My problem started when I installed avahi-daemon - the system crashed,
> and I could not recover to a useable state. So I reinstalled the
> system and approached it a little more carefully.

1. Set up a serial console (to capture crash data);
2. Make sure you're in condition to lose data;
3. Reproduce the crash, log *everything* since boot.
4. File a bug on bugzilla.kernel.org with all relevant information.  This
does include the kernel config at the very least.

> http://heeris.id.au/stuff/SBCError.jpg

The box objected VERY HEAVILY to the ipv6 multicast operations trigerred by
avahi.  Without fixing the underlying bug, your box will be unusable (lots
of other stuff are likely to trigger the same problem).

  Henrique Holschuh