Re: --set-selections - help needed to use this

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 08:00:10 Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Excerpts from Lisi's message of Tue Oct 12 13:05:50 +0200 2010:
> > #dpkg --set-selections < installed_packages.txt
> > #apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
>
> FWIW, this is what I used (based on [1]):
>
> dpkg --clear-selections
> dpkg --set-selections < dpkg-selections-installed.state
> debconf-set-selections < debconf.state
> xargs -r -- aptitude markauto -y --schedule-only \
>     < autoinstalled-packages.list
> aptitude install -y

Excellent list of commands!  It satisfies OR'd dependencies the same way your
old system did, and restores the "automatically installed" flag, and moves
over your debconf stuff, too!

It would be nice to see how you generated all those files, too.

I assume dpkg-selections-installed.state is from dpkg --get-selections,
possibly filtered through grep.

I'm guessing debconf.state is generated from debconf-get-selections from the
debconf-utils package (which is not, IIRC, installed by default on Debian
systems).  Be sure to run this command as root if you want to capture
"password" fields from debconf.

I'd think autoinstalled-packages.list comes from an aptitude or modern apt-
search run.  There's probably some required command-line options when using
aptitude to prevent it from truncating package names.

> [1] <http://www.mail-archive.com/aptitude-
> devel@lists.alioth.debian.org/msg00329.html>

Probably a good read, but I didn't visit the thread myself.