--set-selections - help needed to use this

I am installing on a new box.  I have copied the installed_packages.txt from
the old box onto a CD.  (I am physically 10 miles away from the old box)

I am failing in using teh list to install.  I navigated to /media/cdrom0, then
did

#dpkg --set-selections < installed_packages.txt
#apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

After the first, the system complained that the file is read only.  But I only
want to read it, surely?  And after the second command 0 files were
installed!

I could perhaps copy the file to the main filesystem and change the
permissions - but in that case, where should I put it to enable dpkg to find
it?

Or am I perhaps doing something else wrong?

Lisi