Re: Installing avahi-daemon crashes kernel, corrupts filesystem

On 11 October 2010 03:03, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
>> Any tips on catching it? Will there be useful info in a log somewhere?
>
> It *could* have made it to /var/log/syslog, but I am not particularly
> optimistic about that.

No, I had checked that already. :/

> May be. Do you have write caching enabled?

How would I know?

>>> - make sure the CF card is ok (badblocks scan in another system)
>>
>> Just finished one from the USB installer (rescue mode). Didn't seem to do much.
>
> What do you mean by that?

This is from memory, but I ran "fsck.ext2 -c -C 0 -p -f /dev/sdb1" and
after running for a while said something like:

    updating bad blocks inode XXXXXXXX; /dev/sdb1: XXXX/XXXX files
(1.6% non-contiguous), XXXXX/XXXXX blocks

So... if there were bad blocks, it didn't make a fuss about it.

I'm going to commence a destructive badblocks scan ("badblocks -b 4096
-s -w /dev/sdb1") - can badblocks be given an entire device instead of
a partition? Or does that not make sense?

>> Yep, every time. I just wonder if somehow the avahi-daemon package is
>> the only thing I'm trying to install that, say, requires that much
>> more memory than any other package for configuration.
>
> Maybe you should try to install and run KDE and Firefox. ;-)

I don't want to start a fire, there's expensive equipment nearby...

- Jason