Re: Installing avahi-daemon crashes kernel, corrupts filesystem

On 10 October 2010 21:43, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Looks like a kernel panic or a kernel oops. Seeing the start of it would
> be helpful.

Any tips on catching it? Will there be useful info in a log somewhere?

> That looks like your filesystem is damaged beyond what one could expect
> from a single crash. I would try to (in that order)

I wonder if the flash card is more sensitive to crashes like this than
the usual spinning platters...?

> - make sure the CF card is ok (badblocks scan in another system)

Just finished one from the USB installer (rescue mode). Didn't seem to do much.

> - make sure the mainboard/CPU/RAM is ok (memtest86, if it runs on your
>  system)

That will have to wait until a reinstall - I can only boot in recovery
mode, and I can't install anything because dpkg hits unrecoverable
errors (this time, "syntax error: unknown group 'crontab' in
statoverride file").

I did run memtest86+ a couple of weeks ago (no particular reason) and
it was fine, but a hardware problem is not out of the question. Not
sure how to catch it if memtest can't see it though.

> My guess would be that you have a hardware problem for some time now. I
> only find it curious that it can be reproduced when installing a
> particular package. Is the segfault reproducible after a reinstall as
> well?

Yep, every time. I just wonder if somehow the avahi-daemon package is
the only thing I'm trying to install that, say, requires that much
more memory than any other package for configuration.

> Where do your packages come from (official mirror, local mirror,
> self-burnt disc etc.)?

They're from the iiNet mirror (http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian)

Thanks,
Jason