Re: Postgrad research tools - any recommendations

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 20:12:04 +0100
AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Greetings list
>
> I have just started a Ph.D. program and want to check out the
> availability of the following two software apps that the university
> uses on their Windows machines:
>
>                  SPSS
>                  EndNotes
>
> The first is a statistical package for social science and the second
> is a bibliographic referencing system.  I am using Mendeley which
> does have a Deb package, but many of my colleagues are using EndNote
> and I will need to familiarise myself with the application just in
> case Mendeley doesn't work out as well as I would hope.
>
> So, does anyone know whether SPSS has a Debian friendly release (or,
> for that matter, how well it might work with WINE) and ditto with
> EndNote?

Maybe try PSPP [1]? It seems to be fully compatable with SPSS.

Wine has no notes for newer versions of SPSS, but it seems X3 worked,
kinda, under WINE, as always, ymmv and it can be quite hard to get
stuff working well enough for use.

This thread [2] seems to have some alternatives for EndNotes, though it
is a old (2008) thread, I am not sure how relative it will be to you.

Also, this arical [3] has some other alternatives to Endnotes, it is
newer ( 29th September 2010) so it may be more relevant.

> I am familiar with R, so the question is not about an alternative
> statistical package but really about about the opportunity to use
> SPSS on a Debian testing machine.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.

I hope this is some help.

> AG

[1]http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781843
[3] http://www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97