Re: Lost keyboard in KDE 3.5.10 on Lenny.

On Friday 01 October 2010 09:43:43 Klistvud wrote:

> > folder helped a

> > > Worth a try.  Thanks.  I'll report back.
>
> Well, years ago, when I was using KDE3, a gentle soul advised me to
> rename my '~' dir, deluser my_user_name, adduser my_user_name, and then
> copy the important directories, one by one, from the backed up '~' over
> to the new '~' .
>
> You should make sure that the adduser command assigns the new user the
> same UID as the deleted user; that way, the new '~' and the backed-up
> '~' will have the same ownership.
>
> By logging out and in again after each copied directory, and testing
> out the issue, I was able to pinpoint exactly which directory was the
> culprit. I can't recall anymore what the problem was, and the procedure
> admittedly is a bit tiresome, but it definitely worked for me.
>
> I just hope the MTA doesn't change all the above '~' instances into
> smilies ...

Thanks, Klistvud.  I ought to have thought of that!  I shall definitely try
it.  But I am somewhat behind having been unable to use my main desktop for
several days now.  (This list has been spared the hardware issues I was
having!)  Having made my user usable (I installed a second DE - xfce) I shall
temporarily shelve the problem while I catch up.

Lisi