Re: Card reader stopped working after update

Thanks Brian,

My husband couldn't get the case off to check inside, but looking in the slot one of the pins looks bent.  I have 4 small boys so it is possible someone has been poking around, though the sd card lives in that slot permanently so they would have had to get it out first.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM, <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:47:39 +1000
Veronica Brandt <veroicon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Further investigations show the sd card is not working anymore either.
> Could a power outage cause damage like that?  Leaving it on battery
> power till it goes flat?  Could that fry both the card reader and the
> card?

A dead battery ? Very doubtful.

It's almost certainly no coincidence that the card reader and card died
at the same (?) time, assuming thath you're _sure_ the SD Card itself is
dead.

I've tried the dead SD card in other readers too and the only glimmer of life was from a windows machine offering to reformat it for me.  On my linux machine I tried ddrescue and testdisk on the sd card and neither of them could see the card.  I haven't tried reformatting it yet - I tried putting it in the freezer but still nothing.  And my last back up was about this time last year (mea culpa, mea culpa...)

A problem with voltage regulation, i.e. a hardware problem, could do
both, killing the reader and the card.  It's possible that the supply
to the reader is isolated, otherwise I would expect something else on
the laptop would also be damaged/not working.

As I said, it is possible it's on an isolated regulator and if that
regulator failed it would dave hooked up the card reader to the battery
directly killing the reader and the card.

That still seems quite unlikely, but it is possible.

Do you have a voltmeter ?

My husband is the handy one and he keeps my voltmeter somewhere, but trying last night he couldn't get the case off, I'll need to google see if there are any instructions for such things.

Brian