Re: Asynchronous HTTP Cache Validations - Varnish or Squid for high volume websites?

Le Monday 27 September 2010 12:44:04 Siju George, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Which one is better for Asynchronous HTTP Cache Validations  for high
> volume websites?
>  Varnish or Squid ?
>
> any body using Varnish in production Environments?

Yes !
600 req/s at Varnish and only 5-10 req/s at Apache behind !

Of course, you'll have to tune and adapt to your site, but really woth it,
especially with CMS like Drupal, which are very hungry on resources.

We have several layers of cache, in fine to reduce Database load :
- Varnish
- Drupal modified (pressflow) to handle usable HTTP Header for Varnish
- Cache router module to manage :
- APC for very fast cache, only local to one Web node
- Memcache for global fast cache
- Some modifications to handle a semaphore on cache generation, only generate
the cache entry on the first request, other identical requests during that time
are waiting for the generated entry.
- MySQL tmp dir on tmpfs, too many tmp table creation to file (TEXT type
columns...)