Squeeze. nVidia video. How to change brightness with functional (Fn) keys?[SOLVED]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Goldshtein <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM
Subject: Squeeze. nVidia video. How to change brightness with
functional (Fn) keys?

Hello, list!

Lenovo Y450-3M laptop with:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce
GT 240M] (rev a2)
       Subsystem: Lenovo Device 38fd
       Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Would you, please, to explain how to configure a system or edit
configuration files in order to bring laptop brightness funktional
keys (Fn+key) to thier normal work? It is impossible to adjust
brightness pressing Fn+UpArrow and Fn+DownArrow keys. The symbol of
brightness is displaying well, but no adjust actually happen.

Googling left me unsure about what I have to do to correct this issue.
There are mostly comments from Ubuntu users. I know Ubuntu is Debian
based but need to be understanding what I am doing with my system. If
you have a little time, please, help.

Thanks in advance!

---
The solution is to add a line into your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

On the “Device” section append the following line:

Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

After that I have reboot the machine and ta-da: Fn keys serve well to
adjust a brightness.

I have found that solution at
http://www.andresclari.com/blog/enable-nvidia-brightness-control-in-ubuntu-10-04/
and believe it is harmless, easy to apply and rollback.

Thanks to one who made it first available to public and everyone who
disscuss that.

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein