Re: video card reccomendation

On Sunday 26 September 2010 22:36:29 Mark Allums wrote:
> On 9/26/2010 9:46 AM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > Don't buy Nvidia. They're totally reluctant against OSS, and their
> > binary-only drivers are simply crap.
>
> I must differ.
>
> Their closed binaries are usually pretty good.
> Sometimes they release a bad bug, but they are quick to fix it, and
> quickly release a patched version.

This has also been my experience with NVidia.  While it is not Free Software,
their driver has served me quite well from both a stability a feature-set
standpoint.

> At any rate, one's best best is
> probably Intel.  The more recent GPUs from Intel are well supported in
> Linux.

As long as you aren't wanting to do heavy 3D processing, that is the best
choice.  Intel graphics do support enough OpenGL features and run them fast
enough to handle compositing window managers and a good number of desktop
effects, if you want.  However, the combination of features and speed required
for some modeling applications or high-end games is simply not available from
Intel.

> Heavy 3D support simply requires the NVIDIA blob.  No choice.
> Soon the Nouveau driver will change that, but for now...

I disagree that Heavy 3D support requires the NVIDIA blob.  You can also
choose the AMD/ATI blob.  Or, depending on your needs, the ATI Radeon HD 4670
card may work with Free Software drivers.  (IIRC, this still requires a
firmware blob, but things are getting better.)