Re: video card reccomendation

In <[🔎] 20100926182947.30489bde@windy.deldotd.com>, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:46:38 +0200
>Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
>> * Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> schrieb:
>> > I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the
>> > regular bus.
>>
>> Don't buy Nvidia. They're totally reluctant against OSS.
>>
>> Those companies IMHO don't deserve a single penny.
>
>I quite agree.  So maybe a good question is: who makes a video card
>that supports _decent_ 3D performance that has open source drivers ?

ATI Radeon HD 4670 is the current king of 3D performance with an Free Software
X11 driver.  Or, it was last time I checked http://free3d.org/.

Since ATI was acquired by AMD, they have made great strides in the quality of
the Free Software drivers.  I've not yet owned one (stuck with my Nividious
7800 GTXs), though.

I have seen the ATI Radeon Mobility 4650 in action and the hardware performs
the games I like to play (StarCraft II) quite well.  The 4670 is fairly cheap
right now if you can find one.

I also have good hopes for the 5xxx line, as the AMD engineers are already
working with the X.org contributors.