Re: video card reccomendation

On Sunday 26 September 2010 10:46:38 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> schrieb:
> > I need to get an agp video card so take the video load off the regular
> > bus. Also my new monitor has 1600x900 resolution and the openchrome
> > driver doesn't recognize that resolution. I don't play games, so it's
> > mostly for text, web, and an occasional video file.
>
> Don't buy Nvidia. They're totally reluctant against OSS, and their
> binary-only drivers are simply crap (dont want to flame on their
> bad coding practises here ;-o).
>
> Those companies IMHO don't deserve a single penny.

  I agree that nVidia's attitude towards open source is a problem.

  However, my experience with their binary drivers has been quite
good.  They're reasonably easy to install, and seem to perform
quite well for me.  In particular, they have one of the best
distribution-agnostic binary-blob installers I've ever run across.

  As a Debian user, when I do have to resort to binary/proprietary
software, having it only available as RPMs just adds salt to the
wound.  (Don't get me started about the older Intel C/C++ compiler
installers...)

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net