Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:51:12 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> > # Kernel image management overrides
> > # See kernel-img.conf(5) for details
> > do_symlinks = no
> > relative_links = yes
> > do_bootloader = no
> > do_bootfloppy = no
> > do_initrd = yes
> > link_in_boot = yes
> > postinst_hook = lilo-update
> > postrm_hook = lilo-update
>
> You need to remove those last two lines, the ones that have
> "lilo-update" in them.  At one time I recommended this for squeeze
> users that use only stock kernels, but I don't anymore.  Besides,
> either you didn't write a corresponding lilo-update script or
> it got deleted somehow.  Either way, you need to get rid of those
> two lines in /etc/kernel-img.conf.

done.  that explains the errors.  that's the problem with this stuff is
unwinding the call stack.

Is there a magic option to pass apt-get or dpkg which will produce more
verbose output ?

Didn't see anything obvious in the manpage except for the "quiet"
 parameter.

> > I haven't gone through the rest of the changes yet.  Working on
> > that right now.
>
> Also, in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume, the file should reference
> the swap partition, not the root partition, either directly or via a
> UUID. Older versions of the Debian installer contained a version of
> mkswap that did not assign a UUID.  Also, if you install another
> operating system in another partition, such as Ubuntu, it may
> reformat the swap partition, which will change its UUID.  You can
> either use
>
> RESUME=/dev/sda4
>
> or
>
> RESUME=UUID=558d7790-5914-494d-938f-3387296eed45

I'm not use if it makes a difference, but that file was referencing the
uuid, so I changed it to point at /dev/sda, simply to be consistent
with my fstab and lilo.conf.

my guess is that it will break if I put another disk drive in, right ?

Brian