Re: AMD 'cool & quiet' stopped working in squeeze (and lenny?)

On 20100925_224627, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Paul E Condon put forth on 9/25/2010 7:58 PM:
>
> > Thanks, but ...
>
> Paul you're hardware handicapped.  :(  All the modern Asus boards (and
> many others) have the "Qfan-2" feature which controls fan speed based on
> user configurable BIOS settings.  Apparently you never read your
> motherboard manual.  You need no OS level software to control the fan speed.
>
> You can whine over "it worked but now it doesn't, and why is that?" or
> you can simply go into your BIOS and set it the way you want and be done
> with it.
>
> Your case is but one of many reasons I've have scolded this industry for
> many years WRT OS/application level control of hardware features such as
> voltages, frequencies, and fan speeds.  If the hardware and/or BIOS are
> designed properly, there is no need for application software level controls.
>
> Pull out your mobo manual and solve your problem.

Thanks, Stan.

YOU solved my problem. I knew I was missing something, but my search
was defective and I wasn't finding what I needed. You gave the clue
of the marketing name of the feature that I wanted to control. The
manual has no index and the TOC does not mention Qfan. I had already
done what I thought was an exhaustive search of the manual, so this
time I decided to do a depth first walk of the selection tree in the
BIOS user interface. This worked for me.

After finding the control for Qfan in the seletion tree, I managed to
find it in the paper manual.

I also don't like the way the industry presents its products to its
customers, but I doubt that any suggestion that I might make would
deserve to be taken seriously.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon